Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Contemporary Crows

"Contemporary Crows"
10" x 11"
(what this painting could look like framed)


Click here to bid

I just finished this one and posted it over at Daily Paintworks.  It's a little different for me, although still kind of similar to the painting, "Pumpkin Shadows" I did a while ago.  I liked the simplicity of the forms and the positive and negative shapes they created, not to mention the colors.  These are two cast iron crows (with very large feet to help them stand), that a student of mine decided to paint.  I couldn't resist the composition and had to butt in and give it a whirl.  (Thank you Tina!)  :)

Below is my progression in case you're interested -- and "Pumpkin Shadows."








"Pumpkin Shadows"
9.75" x 9.75" (image size)
This is presently matted and framed with this style frame
although the actual one is lighter, with a warmer  brown tone.
$150
For inquiries, please email me


6 comments:

  1. I'm looking at this one and envying at all the rich, dark color and interesting textures you were able to achieve on Fabriano paper -- to which I address tremendous admiration! One of those days I'd have to fly up and take a workshop with you, Kara!

    One simple question comes to my mind -- what brush and which size do you usually use to lift details such as the textured areas on the crows? I think the one I am currently using is not giving me as good a resolution as I would like, so I'm searching around... Or better yet, ask the expert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Arena. My answer to your question is "Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!" I have a bunch of different size brushes that I bought at Michaels or WalMart (usually in packets). The bristles tend to be a little stiffer, but still fairly soft. The brushes are meant to be used for watercolor or acrylics. I have a couple of very small flat brushes that work great for lifting. Those seam to be my "go-to" brushes rather than the rounds. Although depending on the shape I'm lifting, I'll use whatever works - round or flat.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for the tips! The flats are also for watercolor or Acrylics, not bristle brushes, am I right?

      Delete
  2. J'ai beaucoup apprécié l'évolution de votre travail...
    Le résultat est fabuleux.
    L'oeuvre avec les citrouilles est splendide... Un magnifique jeu de lumières et d'ombres...

    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very sweet . . . thank you so much for the kind comments! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this painting! Shiny cast iron...very nice...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!