Monday, April 21, 2014

Sketching

Sketch #1

Last year I was introduced to Gary Lippincott, a very talented illustrator whose specialty is in the genre of fantasy illustration. This physically imposing mountain of a man spends his time creating delicately rendered watercolor illustrations of fairies and woodland nymphs that are truly a sight to behold. Aside from some kind of bionic eyesight, allowing him to paint the tiniest eyelashes or fine wrinkles of an old soothsayer, I have been most impressed with Gary's volumes of sketchbooks containing endless pages of meticulous and masterful pencil drawings. His passion for drawing is evidenced by this impressive collection, one that I have found to be extremely inspiring.

In an effort to get back to my love of drawing and further hone these skills, I decided I would try to start a sketchbook that would contain value studies for my paintings.  I have always loved to draw and shade with pencil, but have never made the time, as keeping a sketchbook has always seems like such a daunting task for me. (In fact, for those of you who have followed this blog for sometime, you may recall some of my fleeting albeit well-intended artistic endeavors that most times go unrealized.) However, I have been so moved and inspired by the legacy of amazing sketchbooks that Gary has produced, in an effort to do the same, I have begun this new venture.  Right now I'm feeling hopeful that I can stick with this . . . but who the heck knows!!?  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kara, loved reading your post! I have tried to keep sketchbooks too, but never seem to have the time. I needed to read this....it has really inspired me, I love drawing as well as painting. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't count the number of sketchbooks I've bought; each with drawings on the first one or two pages.
    You are off to a great start here, with the drawing and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these drawings and they are so beautifully done! You have just inspired my to finally open one of my sketch books and start drawing -- just for the fun of it! Thank you Kara... You never cease to amaze and inspire me!...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!