Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ugh . . . The Negative Post . . .

"Cherry Tomatoes"
5" x 7"
starting bid:  $50
Sold
Click here to bid

This is probably the worst surface I've ever painted on . . . and as I struggled through I kept thinking "why am I torturing myself?  just stop!"  But I kept going because apparently I like pain and so here it is. (and now that it's posted, I think I need to punch up the dark value in a couple areas within the tomato grouping) Anyway, the surface was Crescent cold-pressed watercolor board.  It was the most unforgiving surface I've ever used. Perhaps you've used it and it worked for you . . . but for me, ugh!  As I've mentioned on this blog before, I like to pull color out as I go and the watercolor board didn't allow this at all. In fact even scrubbing was a nightmare. Then the color started to bleed in places.  Ugh!  Nightmare. Needless to say, I'm going back to my wonderful Fabriano soft-pressed. Why oh why did I even stray in the first place?   

And while I'm on this negativity kick . . . I just had TWO paintings rejected from the Connecticut Academy of Fine Arts show. So now I have to schlep back down to Mystic CT to pick them up. Talk about a walk of shame! I've had to pick up one piece before, but not BOTH. (I'm a little bitter.)  :) Incidentally, I've posted the two rejected paintings (which I've posted before as I finished them) below.  I walked them in rather than applied online because I thought they were more dynamic in person -- especially the clementine -- it really loses a lot digitally.  Apparently though, the judges didn't feel the same. Aaaahhhh . . . you just never know. 

So that's my negative news.  I'm going to go eat breakfast . . . take a shower and get to work on some more paintings.  Sigh.  :)

"Delicious Light"
11" x 14"

"Oh My Darlin"
8" x 8"

12 comments:

  1. *shakesfistatthosebleepinjurors*

    Go have a cupcake. . . or twelve. Bummer to the max Kara. But I will say it loud and proud that your work is STUNNING and don't let the opinion of one person bring you down. I've had to do the walk of shame many times myself, no fun for sure. Chin up Kara! Paint away!

    Hugs,
    Your fellow walk of shame sista in arms
    Shamers unite!! :)

    P.S. Delicious light is one of my faves of yours. and the tomatoes are fabuloso!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You always make me laugh Crystal. :) Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Quoi!!! Mais c'est impensable qu'on ait pu rejeter votre art!!! Je suis scandalisée. Mais je ne suis pas complètement surprise... L'art tout comme la philosophie peut ou ne peut pas plaire... L'avis de certains juges est très souvent déconcertant. Mais il n'y a aucun chemin d la honte... Il n'y a que des croisements de route et celui-ci est peut-être celui qui vous emmènera encore plus loin.
    Cette dernière ouvre vous a fait souffrir, mais bon je les mangerais bien vos tomates! à en rougir de plaisir et non de honte!
    Gros bisous à vous ma chère. Vous avez un immense talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martine . . . you are very sweet. :)

      Delete
  3. O Kara, o Kara. I realy feel said for you, but on the other hand you made me laugh. Never say you love pain; now you have a lot of it in one day! O and let me guess: you didn't have anything to eat in house, you were only having cold water for you shower! Bad luck comes mostly all at once.
    Well don't be afraid: a lot of people love your work, including me. No matter what happens! Keep your head up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you Renate. It's funny you mentioned the cold shower -- just the day before we didn't have any hot water and I took a shower at my neighbor's. :) But it's all fixed now -- glad it didn't happen the same day as the rejection, I would've been certain I was jinxed. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Kara! I'm on my smart phone so I will keep this one short -- I'll post longer when I get back home late tonight. I just want to say -- yes I know you already know this -- a lot of shows do base their acceptance not only on the quality of work, but also on the medium, subject and style -- whether yours fits with the other work in the show and whether there are quite a few of similar subjects on style already in the same show. Also, still life with classical subject and flowers tend not to get into a lot of the gallery or art federation shows -- they simply want to exhibit slightly less familiar subject and non-traditional themes of work. Yes, I get it, but I love what I paint and I know you do too -- you pour your hearts out and just cannot paint something only because you know a subject is easier to be accepted into shows, nor should you do so! I've gone to enough shows, studied the work juried in and talked to a lot of gallery owners to confirm this hunch. These two pieces are beautifully executed. Please don't let the rejection defeat you -- Madam X of Sargent was very badly received in its own time when it made to the Salon.

    I share your pain of rejections today -- I got my share from Maryland Art Federation's XL-XS show as well. So, solidarity and comradary! Let's keep on painting the next submission!

    (Cheers on hot chocolate...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arena . . . I appreciate your explanation. It's very interesting. I know it's a crap shoot every time I enter a show. And I agree with you -- I'm not going to tailor my painting to fit into a show. So happy painting to us!! Cheers! :)

      Delete
  5. Count me in ....I got a juicy rejection this week too.
    I agree with what everyone said above. I mean seriously..look over to your left as you read this...(I'll wait) .... OK are did you look? You will see the best possibly painted pictures of berries, eggs, Fisher Price woman etc. Nobody could paint these any better. So it is not painting skill that was judged but clearly something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo -- you're very sweet. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement. :)

      Delete
  6. Kara...today is my first "find" of your work and may I say...it's all stunning. Just went through your gallery. Your rejection is just a badge of honor...we all get these little kicks in the behind so don't pay any attention and just keep painting and entering. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One would never know that you struggled with the paper, you have painted a beautiful painting with these tomatoes. Such use of color for the white dish, great shadow and the tomatoes look juicy and ready to pop in your mouth. A nice piece, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!