Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sketching Cloth

Last Friday my "watercolor ladies" (a small group of women who come here for watercolor lessons), suggested we try painting draping cloth.  So I took a photo of a white dishcloth draped over a chair in my living room.  Ever since, I've been obsessed with painting the cloth.  It's quite challenging.  When I taught high school art my students would draw the cloth in graphite.  I would stress the importance of following the contours in addition to capturing the slight nuances in the cloth with subtle value changes.  I felt confident drawing with the graphite.  It's so different with watercolor!  So I'll continue to practice, (in fact the second painting needs some finishing up anyway).  In the meantime here are two little studies I did of the cloth today.  There are things I like in each and things I need to do better.  Aaaah . . . so back to the drawing board!  :)

Cloth Study I
6" x 6"

Cloth Study II
8" x 8"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!