Friday, June 17, 2016

Possum Palette

Possum Palette with cups
(image from Cheap Joe's website)


Can one ever have too many palettes?  I think not!  I recently purchased another Possum Palette.  Since I work on several paintings at once, I don't always like to clean off my palette while I jump from painting to painting.  I want to be able to start from where I left off.

Often I have smaller palettes or butcher trays assigned to different paintings, but recently I just felt like I wanted another new Possum Palette.  So I indulged myself!

If you've never heard of this type of watercolor palette, you will want to check it out.  I absolutely LOVE it and I believe it changed my painting for the better. 




You can purchase the Possum Palette and extra cups at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff.  The palette has 22 wells and comes with 22 plastic cups with hinged lids and 3 large mixing sections.  It measures 10.75" wide and 16.5" long and is about 1" deep when the cups are placed in the wells.  Although the cups come with the palette, you can order replacement ones in packages of 8.  They also have sticky labels so you can label your colors.  


full palette (comes with 22 plastic cups)
and 8 additional cups

I love that the plastic cups keep my watercolors moist so that I can use large amounts of paint in order to easily achieve rich, saturated pigments without waste.  The paint can be kept wet (I usually give my colors a quick spray before I close their lids), but even if they do dry, I find they are easily reconstituted without diluting the rich pigments.  

plastic cup with hinged lid
(image from Cheap Joe's website)

I also love that the palette has a huge mixing area.  And because it's divided into three sections I can try to keep my primaries fairly separated.  (While it doesn't really show it, there really IS a method to that messy madness!)

well-loved, messy but still in use


The palette costs about $27 and packages of 8 replacement cups runs about $7. The Possum Palette is definitely a wise investment and one of my most treasured watercolor tools.

I hope you found this post helpful . . . thanks for stopping in.


4 comments:

  1. I've had a Possum Palette for a few years. I especially love being able to move the colors, and add or subtract according to whatever color has caught my fancy. The colors really do stay fresh and moist too ... oh, and don't spill all over the place when your transport your palette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to order a 2nd this week and found out they are no longer available!
    I tried everywhere! If you dind any b or have one to ,,sell, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to order a 2nd this week and found out they are no longer available!
    I tried everywhere! If you dind any b or have one to ,,sell, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you found a source for the possum palette paint reservoirs yet? I also have been looking for several years. I did contact the container manufacturer before the pandemic but got no reply back. Thank you for your reply.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!