Sunday, January 22, 2012

More Updates



Oh my goodness, I feel like a painting/blogging machine these few days! :)  Obviously the painting in progress above is of the "chair with quilt" -- for lack of a better title at the moment.  So things are moving along with this one.  

Below, I've posted an image of the latch detail on the "Bittersweet Door" painting.  It was just too flat and bugging me, so I added a couple shadows to it and they made all the difference.  Now I'm happy with it.  So I wanted to share that with you. It's still up for auction over at DPW if you're interested.  I haven't changed that photo, so you can pretend it has the better latch now.


the improved latch detail on "Bittersweet Door"



Finally, I've attached the progress on my "Church Street Barn" painting.  It's coming along.  I'm doing a great deal of detail that I'm not sure will work or not.  We'll see.  I almost like going too far with areas of my paintings and then pulling back by washing out.  You can get an almost ghostlike quality that you can't get by painting directly onto the paper.  It's the same with highlights.  While sometimes reserving the whites are required, many times I prefer to pull out the color after the darks have been added.  It all depends on what suits the painting. Just something to think about.


"Church Street Barns"
12" x 12"

Ok enough of my lecturing . . . off to get my chores done!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Un grand merci de nous faire partager la progression de vos travaux...
    Des oeuvres qui sont en voie de de venir merveilleuses...
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very interesting that you prefer to put in more details and then put a wash over them to "paint away" -- I found that I prefer to work this way myself too, as well as pulling the lights after the darks have been put in. It is very interesting to learn about how other artists work. Thanks for sharing!

    The door looks great with the shadow -- I love the subtle color changes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!