Thursday, July 31, 2014

Washes On Cold-Press

Salem's Cattle - wip2

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I mostly work on Fabriano - soft or hot pressed paper.  I struggle with values so I love that I can lift while I'm developing a painting.  Layered washes are a bit trickier as they don't stay put as well as on cold-press, but the ability to lift far outweighs that slightly annoying characteristic for me, and I've learned how to work with it.

However, I decided to try some cold-press (I think Arches) that I had laying around.  What fun, allowing the colors mingle on damp paper!  I'm really trying to find a balance between detail and suggestion, where the watercolor just does what it does. It's magical. Nita Engle's book, "How to Make a Watercolor Paint Itself" is SO INSPIRING!  Are you experimenting with anything lately?

Salem's Cattle - wip1 - first washes
9.5" x 8.75"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!